Honey oatmeal bread is also the bread of gratitude because I know that the only reason there is a gallon jar of honey in the pantry is that Br. Luke and Br. David dressed up in full-body bee suits on a warm spring day and went out to the hives to harvest it. I watched them clean the honey room and repair the extraction equipment over the course of several days before they even got around to spinning out the comb, filtering, pasteurizing, etc. I genuinely appreciate their hard work and make an effort to tell them so every now and then. They'll be doing the same thing again in the heat of August and September.
- I'm grateful that I was home and available when a friend unexpectedly stopped by needing some spiritual encouragement.
- I'm thankful for the sacrifices made by our military personnel around the world.
- I'm grateful that our prior Fr. Michael is so well organized in keeping the day-to-day operations of the abbey running smoothly.
- I'm thankful for the health and strength to be able to knead a double batch of dough.
- I'm grateful that my scented geranium is in bloom, and that I have the leisure time to enjoy it.
So what are your three gratitudes today? I hope one of them is that you had a chance to bake or at least enjoy some homemade bread. God bless and happy baking!